Front of House and Rental Manager
Job Title: Front of House and Rental Manager
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Compensation: Salary Range —$43,000 – $50,000 per year. Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history
Date Revised: January 24, 2023
With the opening of the new Creativity Center, Creative Alliance embarks on a new journey for connecting with and providing and engaging audiences with entertaining, impactful, and innovative experiences. We lead from a desire to proactively address issues of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion with regards to the content and staffing of programming, the visitor experience, and community engagement.
The Front of House and Rentals Manager is responsible for revenue generation through overseeing event management, box office, bar and concessions, and private rentals. Customer service, both internally and with our guests and external stakeholders, is a key focus in this work, creating a positive work environment for staff and an open welcoming environment for all guests and patrons. This position supervises and trains various part-time staff that are the first point of contact with Creative Alliance audiences. Successful candidates will be able to manage multiple projects at the same time, be detail-oriented, and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills. This position works Tuesday- Saturday with some remote work possible. Weekends and evenings required.
Management, Box Office, Bar/Concessions – 75%
- Provide logistical and operational support for Creative Alliance events to internal department heads; set and attend event calendar meeting and weekly operations meeting
- Hire, train, supervise and schedule all part-time event management staff who provide day of event support including interfacing with visiting talent, event set-up and break- down, handling cash deposits and financial reporting for bar, concessions, and box office.
- Work with Creative Alliance event program staff to ensure all event needs are met and relay needs to staff
- Work with Creative Alliance team to execute onsite and offsite organization-wide events. Plan and staff front of house for major events like Marquee Ball, the Big Baltimore Kite Festival, Great Halloween Lantern Parade and others
- Provide excellent customer service support to patrons, guests, and Ensure customer service focus a priority for all staff
- Provide shift oversite for all positions, including training of event staff on nights and weekends
- Create and develop events notes for front of house staff
- Provide shift coverage for bar, event, box office staff as needed
- Assist with the development of front of house annual budget
- Conduct staff reviews
- Serve as point person to ensure Creative Alliance is in ADA compliance
- Hire, train, supervise and schedule all part-time box office staff
- Coordinate and create event parking passes
- Maintain curated bar menu; analyzing for increased revenue potential. Adjust bar offerings seasonally or based on product availability. Review and manage bar pricing, specialty cocktail recipes—training staff on new drink creations and training protocols for part-time bar
- Hire, train, supervise and schedule all part-time bar staff
- Maintain inventory and order all liquor, bar snacks, goods sold, and bar supplies on a weekly basis
- Make house syrups/mixes/batches and garnishes as needed; or supervising staff to complete
- Understand and maintain Square point of sale program and ensure financial accuracy of reports
- Interface with Creative Alliance operation staff to maintain bar equipment- (soda system, ice maker, draft beer systems, fridges, popcorn maker, square equipment)
Facility Rentals – 25%
Direct the facility rentals program, working with marketing staff on promotion and evaluation with a focus on revenue growth potential; analyze and structure pricing for revenue success
- Attend trade fairs, conferences, and other community opportunities to expand knowledge of the facilities rental program
- Manage rentals from initial inquiry to contract negotiation through completion of event
- Coordinate with the technical director to schedule tech needs for rental events
- Serve as onsite manager for events
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be comprehensive. Employee may perform other related functions to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- 3+ years’ experience with theater or club front of house management, facility rentals, hotel or private events management or facility operations
- Experience hiring, training, and supervising staff
- Ability to lift and carry 50+
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Creative Alliance
- Awareness of ADA compliance requirements
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Customer service focus in all work
- Sales experience, preferably with a focus on revenue generation
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Computer literate and experience with Square, MS Office Suite; Airtable experience desired
- Database experience, Salesforce or Patron Manager preferred
- Familiarity with local arts organizations
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with experience working in diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environments
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadline
- Driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Serve Safe Certification a plus
- Fluent in Spanish a plus
- Creative Alliance expects all staff to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 unless there is a medical or religious exemption
Organization Participation Expectations: In addition to the job-related tasks for this position, Creative Alliance expects all staff to participate in organization events and activities. Specific roles and responsibilities that individual staff may have for these events and activities will be developed in partnership with your supervisor.
Creative Alliance provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Application instructions: I have reviewed the content of this job description and acknowledge that I am able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, three references to email@example.com. Incomplete applications may not be reviewed.